You’ve just gotten engaged and don’t know where to start.
here are some wedding planning tips to help you organise your dream wedding
Obviously, no one wedding check-list could ever work for everyone, as it depends on your needs and wants. You may need to add or remove steps or change the order of steps in your planning process.
FOLLOWING YOUR ENGAGEMENT
• announce your engagement to your friends and family
• start thinking about your vision and determine your wedding budget.
• if you hiring a wedding planner then employ one early in the process.
• choose your bridesmaids and grooms-men
• research options for ceremony locations, wedding venues, and celebrants
• draft your guest list
• plan and host your engagement party
Tip – canvass possible dates with your important guests to avoid any clashes and consider your honeymoon location as seasons and availability might be a factor in choosing your wedding date.
SET THE DATE -12 MONTHS BEFORE THE WEDDING (or earlier the better)
• book your reception venue, ceremony location and celebrant
• choose your wedding rings (if these need to be designed and made it can take time)
• search for your dream wedding dress (also the grooms suit and bridesmaids dresses)
• organise your wedding license
• finalise the guest list
• choose your wedding stationery and send out a save the date
• research wedding suppliers – photographer, florist, cake, wedding cars, entertainment, hair and make-up, wedding hire equipment, etc.
• book your honeymoon
• consider gift registry.
6-3 MONTHS BEFORE THE WEDDING
• send out your official wedding invitations
• book and confirm all details with your wedding suppliers
• organise and book accommodation for guests
• confirm wedding dress, bridesmaids dress, grooms and grooms-men suits
• organise wedding ceremony schedule with your celebrant/priest and ensure all your wedding paperwork is in order.
• book your wedding night suite
Tip- if honeymooning overseas – then double check your passports are valid and remember to get your travel vaccinations.
2-1 MONTHS BEFORE THE WEDDING
• choose music for your ceremony and reception
• pick up wedding rings and ensure sizing is correct
• organise a trial for hair and make-up •organise gifts for bridesmaids, grooms-men, parents, and each other
4-3 WEEKS BEFORE THE WEDDING
• final fittings for the bridal party.
• monitor RSVP and follow up with those who haven’t replied
2 WEEKS BEFORE THE WEDDING
• determine seating arrangement for reception
• confirm any last minute details with the wedding venue manager (as well as your stylist/planner.)
• pick up wedding dress (bridesmaid dresses and grooms if purchasing Or if your hiring-a couple of days before)
• re-confirm timings for all booked suppliers to ensure no surprises • create a plan of the day’s events and assign attendants tasks/responsibilities. • get hair cut and coloured
1 WEEK BEFORE THE WEDDING
• give venue/caterers final guest head count
• provide the ceremony and reception managers a schedule of vendor delivery and set-up times, (pick up times) plus contact numbers.
• take time to pamper yourself – manicure, massage, and other your personal preparations
• clean engagement ring
• pack an overnight bag for the reception
• organise money to be paid to suppliers on the day but preferably take of this beforehand.
2-3 DAYS BEFORE THE WEDDING
• make last minute changes to table plan if necessary
• final fittings and pick up of hire formal-wear. Bridesmaids and grooms-men to collect formal-wear if hiring
• Confirm pick-up times with wedding car company
• Assign a family member or attendant to be the photographer’s contact so he knows who is who.
THE DAY BEFORE
• drop off place cards, table plan, decorations etc to reception coordinator
• relax and get some rest your big day is here at last